Indian Community Welfare Fund
INDIAN COMMUNITY WELFARE FUND(ICWF)
The target beneficiaries of the scheme are Overseas Indian workers.
The objective of the scheme is to provide the following services:
- Boarding and lodging for distressed Overseas Indian workers in household/domestic sectors for unskilled labourers.
- Extending emergency medical care to the Overseas Indians in need.
- Providing air passage to stranded Overseas Indians in need.
- Providing initial legal assistance to the Overseas Indians in deserving cases.
- Expenditure on incidentals and for airlifting the mortal remains to India or local cremation/burial of the deceased Overseas Indians in such cases where the sponsor is unable or unwilling to do so as per the contract and the family is unable to meet the cost.
The source of funding of the scheme would be as follows:
- Funds raised by the Indian Missions by levying a Service Charge on Consular Services at prescribed rate.
- Voluntary contributions by Indian community.
- Budgetary support from the Government of India, Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs(MOIA)
INDIAN COMMUNITY WELFARE FUND (ICWF)SCHEME
THE GOVERNMENT OF INDIA HAS MODIFIED THE SCHEME OF ICWF AND ACCORDINGLY THE PROCEDURE FOR DISBURSEMENT FROM ICWF HAS ALSO BEEN MODIFIED. IT HAS BEEN DECIDED TO UTILISE THE FUND IN PROVIDING THE FOLLOWING SERVICES ON A MEAN TESTED BASIS IN THE MOST DESERVING CASES:
- BOARDING AND LODGING FOR DISTRESSED OVERSEAS INDIAN WORKERS IN HOUSEHOLD/DOMESTIC SECTORS AND UNSKILLED LABOURERS
- EXTENDING EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE TO THE OVERSEAS INDIAN IN NEED
- PROVIDING AIR PASSAGE TO STRANDED OVERSEAS INDIANS IN NEED
- PROVIDING INITIAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE TO THE OVERSEAS INDIANS IN DESERVING CASES
- EXPENDITURE ON INCIDENTALS AND FOR AIRLIFTING THE MORTAL REMAINS TO INDIA OR LOCAL CREMATION/BURIAL OF THE DECEASED OVERSEAS INDIANS IN SUCH CASES WHERE THE SPONSOR IS UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO DO SO AS PER THE CONTRACT AND THE FAMILY IS UNABLE TO MEET THE COST
- PROVIDING THE PAYMENT OF PENALITIES IN RESPECT OF INDIAN NATIONALS FOR ILLEGAL STAY IN THE HOST COUNTRY WHERE PROMA FACIES THE WORKER IS NOT AT FAULT
- PROVIDING THE PAYMENT OF SMALL FINES/PENALITIES FOR THE RELEASE OF INDIAN NATIONALS IN JAIL/DETENTION CENTRE
- PROVIDING SUPPORT TO THE LOCAL OVERSEAS INDIAN ASSOCIATION TO ESTABLISH OVERSEAS INDIAN COMMUNITY CENTRES IN COUNTRIES THAT HAVE POPULATION OF OVERSEAS INDIANS EXCEEDING 100,000 AND
- PROVIDING SUPPORT TO START AND RUN OVERSEAS INDIAN COMMUNITY BASED STUDENT WELFARE CENTRES IN COUNTRIES THAT HAVE MORE THAN 20,000 INDIAN STUDENTS PRESENCE